Sunday, January 29, 2012

(Almost) Vegan Cinnamon Buns



I start my last semester EVER of college tomorrow - say wha??  On one hand, I'm stoked.  I just want to get this semester over with and be done with school already.  On the other hand, I'm also a bit anxious about this whole graduating and finally-being-an-adult thing.  I mean sure, I won't have anymore annoying papers to write or exams to study for.  But at the same time, I will no longer be able to travel and take vacations/"mental health days" as I please - I'm actually going to have responsibilities and work obligations (which I suppose I'm lucky to even have, considering most recent and soon-to-be grads still have to worry about even getting a job).

Anywho, even though I pretty much have a job for after graduation at a company I love, I'm still going to miss the travels, the escapades and the general bumming around I did over the past 8 months of glorified vacation (otherwise known as study abroad). 

Sooo....what does all of this have to do with cinnamon buns?

 Absolutely nothing.  I just though I'd share my thoughts about the upcoming few months and beyond.  

So yeah, cinnamon buns - they're awesome.  And you know what makes these guys even more awesome?  They're not loaded with fat and calories.  All the flavor and (nearly) none of the guilt of traditional cinnamon buns (although granted, a big fat buttery and sticky sweet cinnamon bun is sometimes well-deserved). 

I say these buns are almost vegan because I adapted the original recipe a bit by using real butter instead of the Earth Balance vegan margarine stuff.   I still substituted flaxseed meal for eggs, though, because flax, along with agave nectar, are my two ingredients of the moment right now.  Of course, if you'd like you can make this completely vegan...or not, by using one egg in place of the flaxseed meal. 



(Almost) Vegan Cinnamon Buns
 (Adapted from Eat Live Run)

Yields 9 buns 

2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp flaxseed meal (mixed with 3 tbsp warm water)
1 packet dry yeast
2 cups all purpose flour (I used half whole wheat and half AP)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger

For the filling:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tsp cinnamon

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp almond milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Heat the almond milk and butter together in a small pan on the stove over low heat until the butter melts and the milk is warm to the touch. Remove from heat, let cool a little, so as to not kill the yeast.  Sprinkle in the yeast and stir to help dissolve the yeast. Let mixture sit for five minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the pumpkin puree and flaxseed meal mixture. In another bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.

Add flour mixture to the pumpkin. Pour in yeast mixture.

Knead dough by hand for about 10 minutes or with a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook at medium speed for about 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a dishcloth and set in a warm area to rise until doubled in bulk (about 1-2 hours). While the dough is rising, mix together the softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.

Remove dough and punch dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a large rectangle and spread brown sugar mixture on top, keeping a 1-inch border along the sides. Roll up the dough into a log, and slice into 1/2-inch thick slices.  Place in a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with a dishcloth and let rise for another 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. When dough is risen, bake for 25 minutes. Let cool while you make the glaze.

For the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract to desired consistency.  Drizzle over the cooled buns and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment